Wednesday 6 January 2016

7th January 2016

Instructional Software

Post an example of each of the five different instructional software functions using examples from your teaching discipline area.  The five areas are outlined in Chapter 3 of the text book.

1.  Drill and practice - focused on directed strategies.  Good to help students memorise facts or "automacity" which Roblyer & Doering (2014) say is the "automatic recall of lower order prerequisite skills"  (p. 98).  In my area this kind of software can be useful for reinforcing new vocabulary.  For example "Brainpop" - www.brainpopesl.com .

2.  Tutorial - also focused on directed strategies.  An entire instructional sequence should be included so students shouldn't need any other help or materials (Roblyer & Doering 2014 p. 100).  The tutorials usually contain drill and practice activities.  I have used "Typequick" for students to learn basic keyboard skills.  It is installed on computers in the learning centre and library and provides self-paced learning.  It can be downloaded from:  http://www.typequick.com.au .  We are also subscribed to the Victoria AMES Virtual ILC which contains self-paced lessons are a variety of topics including news, Australian history, nature and the environment, art and culture, biographies etc.  Each topic has self-paced activities with assessment and feedback.  www.virtualilc.com log in:  237vilcst password: yabby

3.  Simulation software - combines directed and constructivst strategies.  The Maritime department at TAFE has a ship similulator which I have tried.  This is a very effective way for students to experience guiding a large ship into Sydney Harbour.   I have not tried this type of software in my teaching area, I note in Roblyer & Doering (2014) that this software is most commonly used in science, e.g. to simulate experiments for example (p. 105).

4.  Instructional game software - combines directed and constructivst strategies.  Students of all ages love games and competitions, adult learners are no different, it is a fun way to reinforce new grammar points or vocabulary.    In ESL we use a lot of language / grammar games in the classroom to motivate students and break the ice.  We are subscribed to some websites which provide games to reinforce vocabulary or grammar points.  For example "Grab a Word" www.grabaword.com

5.  Problem-solving software - combines directed and constructivist strategies.  This software is designed to teach component skills in problem solving.  In my area we would use software like this primarily to teach or reinforce language skills where groups are given a scenario with a challenge to solve.  This is also a good way to encourage collaboration and group work.   One website I've used is:  "Desert Island Problem Solving Speaking Activity", http://freeenglishlessonplans.com

Reference:

Roblyer, M.D., Doering, H. (2014) Integrating Educational Technology into Teaching.  6th Edition. Pearson Education Ltd.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alison,
    I enjoyed reading your post. The ideas you had were very specific to your area, and I could see them working really well. I have had quite a few First Phase EALD learners in my class over the last three years (our school catchment zone encompasses 7 embassies), so I found your suggestions extremely useful.
    With the problem solving activity that you mentioned, do you find this is only really useful for students with a fair base vocabulary, or do you allow students to assist each other in their home language (if they are the same!)?
    I've had brain pop recommended to me by a few other teachers as well, they emphasised the engagement and appeal of the site particularly for students who were often hard to motivate. What do you think of such tools in light of Papert's criticism of them?
    I also found it difficult to find simulation software for a primary context - though I believe it would be an extremely powerful tool! I will look at your maritime example though, just for curiousity's sake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth, thanks for your comments (and thanks for reading my blog!!). With the problem solving activity - yes it works best with students at intermediate level of English or above (i.e. have a reasonable vocabulary base), as do most activities involving the integration of technology. However I might use an activity like this with lower levels and I would definitely allow students to assist each other in their native language to ensure that everyone has the opportunity to participate. I'm not a huge fan of tools like brain pop (and other drill and practice software) in the classroom, but think it is useful in language labs and learning centres where students can do revision outside class. The maritime example was a custom built simulator locatated in a campus so I don't think you could access it online, it was fun to use but very specific for people learning to drive ships.

      Delete
    2. Hi again Beth, I've just been reading your blog and can't see how to make a comment. I also noticed that I have the ability to edit it!!! Thought I should let you know, it's a great blog and I'd love to make some comments, please let me know how, thanks, Alison

      Delete