Friday 15 January 2016

16th January 2016

Cyber Safety and Digital Citizenship

Post to your blog your ideas for ensuring your students are "good digital citizens" and "safe" users of technology in your classroom.  This is much easier said than done, however there are a range of strategies you will have found recommended.  This will need to be in your assignment of course, so it's worth thinking about carefully.  How will you address their use of technology at home?  This is where a great deal of cyber bullying occurs and will often appear subsequently at school.  What are your ideas, based on the policy documents.

I teach in an adult learning environment (TAFE) so the policies are slightly different to those in schools, however there are students under 18 at TAFE so the Department's policies for schools are applicable to them.  I'm unable to access the intranet to download and read the policies at present (the site is closed for maintenance until Sunday evening) so I will revisit this blog and add my comments about the policies in due course.  I can say that everytime teachers and students in my organisation log into the network they 'tick' that they have read, understand and will abide by the Department's "Acceptable Use Policy" which includes not accessing inappropriate internet web sites,  respecting the privacy of other users and not engaging in offensive behaviour (i.e. bullying) when online.

Many of my adult students have issues with their children accessing inappropriate material on the internet and being bullied on social media, my own son had issues with cyber bullying when he was about 14.  I suggest that they have the computer in a common space in the home (not in the child's bedroom) where parents can easily see what their children are up to when online.  Of course with the advent of mobile technologies this is becoming increasingly difficult as kids have access to the internet on their smart devices which they carry around on their person.  The only thing parents can do is control access to the internet if possible.  I don't think children should have mobile technology 24-7 (i.e. smart phones) until they are at least 15, however with the BYOD policy being implemented in primary schools as well as high schools children will soon (if not already) be required to have a smart device of their own.

Educating school students and adult students about the issues of cyber safety and digital citizenship is imperative so they know what it means, and what is required of them in the educational environment and at home.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Alison,

    Thank you for sharing your experiences. I agree with your notion that the computer should be set up in a common space where there is exposure to others around. It can be very easy indeed for anyone to get carried away online when they are shielded from interaction with others. I do understand that this however is nearly impossible in today's technological age. You are certainly correct about the access to mobile devices and tablets.

    Despite not having children of yet, I have myself been trying to distance myself from the constant use of technological devices in agreement with your 24-7 point. Although I value the role of technology both inside the classroom and out, I am increasingly limiting my public presence online. There are many forums available now to publish information to a select group or audience that you are comfortable with sharing information to and receiving feedback from. The concept of cyber safety and digital citizenship are areas in which I believe everyone has something to learn and needs to be instilled into children today.

    Thanks for your post,

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica, thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Alison, very well written and interesting post. Thank you for sharing the parts about cyber bullying. I myself have only toddlers so I haven't had to deal with that sort of thing just yet. What did get me thinking is your comment on smart phones only for people 15 and above. I agree with you to a point, but it seems every few months my ideas of the best age to give mobile access to kids changes. This is a result of both social pressures I see my non-cellphone students getting as well as other factors like BYOD in schools. I currently work in a school that forbids the use of cell phones in school. They have even gone as far as to forbid them from coming to school at all. Despite that, every second kid in my class has one hidden somewhere on them. My concern with not giving kids access until they are 15 is that it seems it is impossible to stop the overwhelming tide, I feel it might just be better to have better cellphone safety programs at even younger ages. I truly don't know the answers, but I know as my daughters grow up, it will be something that I will have to be more and more concerned with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alison, Thanks for sharing your thoughts. My school is currently preparing to introduce BYOD this term and we are taking our students through a Digital Citizenship program from 'Common Sense Media'. It is an ebook resource and a great way to introduce the importance of using the Internet safely. The students need expectations and guidelines and be educated on good online digital behaviour and understanding their Digital footprint.

    ReplyDelete